Bed bugs will do anything to feed on human blood. It is not surprising to have bed bugs in your hair. These parasites are good at hiding in the process they multiply rapidly. They are annoying and hard to eliminate. Do you know how to get rid of bed bugs in hair? This article will focus on bed bug removal from your hair.
What You Need to Know about Bed Bugs in Your Hair
Have ever thought of finding bed bugs in your hair? Strange, right! Finding bed bugs in your in hair is not only embarrassing but also creepy. The hustle one has to go through to get rid of the bed bugs in your hair is even more frustrating.
Did you know bed bugs cannot live in hair or fur? Why? Bed bugs have bodies and legs not meant to navigate through your hair. They can comfortably hide in your hair but cannot live in it.
But do not be fooled. The fact that bed bugs cannot live in your hair doesn’t mean that it is impossible to find them hiding in your hair and in the process they can bite your scalp as they attempt to feed on your blood.
This article will go in great length on how you can eliminate bed bugs in your hair. Read more.
Pictures of Bed Bugs in Hair
See images and pictures below of bed bugs in hair.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Hair Fast
Here is quick step by step ways on how you can get rid of bed bugs in your hair fast:
a) Apply Neem Oil or Head Lice Shampoo
If you suspect there are bed bugs in your hair, the first key step is to apply neem oil or head lice shampoo in your hair. Alternatively, you can use 91% rubbing alcohol regularly with shampoo. Wash your scalp with this treatment to get rid of the bed bugs.
b) Leave the shampoo on your scalp for 20 minutes
After application of the shampoo on your scalp, don’t be in a rush to rinse it off. Give it time for the shampoo to work and get rid of the bed bugs completely. The waiting period should be between 15 -20 minutes
c) Rinse with Warm Water
Once you have applied the shampoo on your head and waited for the above said period, you can rinse the shampoo and clean your head with warm water. Do it thoroughly to remove all the bed bugs both dead and alive
d) Comb Out the bed bugs
Once rinsing your head, get a fine-toothed comb and comb out the bed bugs.
e) Rinse the Comb
It is also important to rinse the comb just in case there are bed bugs eggs stuck in there
f) Repeat the above procedures twice a week
For effective results, make it a habit of repeating the above steps at least twice a week until all the bed bugs are gone and your problem is solved.
There are a quite a number of product to remove bed bugs from your hair. You can choose any suitable product that perfectly works for you and your skin.
The focus on this article is majorly on various methods of bed bugs removal from your hair. We will also discuss on various home remedies to use to remove bed bugs from your hair. Additionally, we will attempt to discuss various products found on the market for bed bugs removal from your hair.
Signs (Symptoms) of Bed Bugs Infestation in your Hair
To tell if you have bed bugs in your hair is quite easy. The sign is obvious. One of the ways is to notice bites along your scalp line. You can also tell the movement of the bed bugs as they try to navigate through your hair.
You can also tell from their little white eggs in your hair. Having bed bugs in your hair isn’t a pleasant sight to watch. This is sign that you have an infestation of bed bugs in your hair and scalp.
Bed bugs are good at hiding and they can easily be transferred to clothes, luggage etc. This is how one can cause an infestation of bed bugs in your home easily. Bed bugs are known to multiply really fast.
Another sign is the bites. You can easily dismiss bed bugs for mosquito bites. It means you could be having bed bugs in your hair but the mere fact you dismiss them for mosquito bites, it could cause an infestation that be overwhelming to deal with.
Bed bugs tend to multiply rapidly, a bed bug population multiplies every fortnight and it could take a while before they start biting your scalp and that is probably the moment you will eventually notice of an infestation of bed bugs in your hair.
Different Methods and Ways of Getting Rid of Bed Bugs in Your Hair
Getting rid of bed bugs from your hair is not as easy as you may think. It is not just treating your hair and the problem is gone. NO. It is more than that. Other than treating your hair, you may be forced to treat your entire home.
Consider this, treating your hair to get rid of bed bugs is just solving your problem half. The fact is, when you notice bed bugs in your hair it is a clear evidence that there are bed bugs in your home especially in your bedroom including your mattress.
Here are some of other different ways to get rid of bed bugs from your hair:
- Shaving – this is one of the most common method to get rid of bed bugs from your hair. Is effective but I don’t think everyone would opt for this method. But shaving your hair exposes the bed bugs and they will be forced to run.
- Heat Treatment – heat treatment is one of the effective ways to get rid of bed bugs. You may try this method. Sit in a sauna where the temperature ranges between 117 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature is good to get rid of the bed bugs and their eggs.
- Removing hair pieces – obviously, hairpieces could be one of the ways you have transferred the bed bugs into your hair. Remove those hairpieces and clean your hair. How about you treat and leave your hair to breathe in its natural form! This will make sure that the bed bugs are eliminated from your hair.
Step by Step Instructions to Remove Bed Bugs and their Eggs from your Hair
In this section, we will discuss the steps by steps instructions on how to remove the bed bugs from your hair. Let’s begin:
1. Removal of Beg Bugs from Hair with Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol has proven to be effective in getting rid of bed bugs from hair. Here’s the procedure to remove bed bugs from your hair with rubbing alcohol;
- Mix the rubbing alcohol with your shampoo
- Rub it in your hair and scalp
- Leave it for a few minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water
- Comb through the hair
- For good results, repeat the procedure for every few days or weeks.
Rubbing alcohol has the ability to eliminate bed bugs and destroy their eggs. Rubbing alcohol in your hair can damage it, use a moisturizing shampoo and nourishing conditioner to avoid this effect.
2. Heat Treatment
This is another effective treatment to get rid of bed bugs in your hair. But caution should be taken.
Here is a procedure to remove bed bugs in hair with heat treatment:
- Sit in a sauna that has temperatures above 117 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash your hair with hot water
- Lather it with shampoo
- Rinse it with warm water
- Comb through to remove dead bed bugs and their eggs
If you can access a steamer, then use it on your hair. This is effective but remember to be careful not to burn your scalp. The instructions are always indicated on the steamer on how to use and the safest temperature levels for you.
3. Suffocating the Bed Bugs
You can also get rid of bed bugs in your hair by suffocating them. Here is how to go about it:
- Use mineral or olive oils to apply on your hair and scalp.
- Cover you head in a shower cap
- Leave it overnight
- Use hot water and shampoo to wash your hair
- Comb through your hair to get rid of the dead bed bugs.
- Repeat the process few times in a week for good results.
4. Lice Treatment
This method has proven to be effective in getting rid of bed bugs too.
Here is the procedure to follow to eliminated bed bugs and their eggs in your hair.
- Use shampoo or lotion that is meant to kill lice. The instructions are always indicated on the box. Read carefully, although many of these products are ideal for eliminating bed bugs but not all of them work in the same way – Buy on Amazon.
- Lather the shampoo into your hair
- Leave it for a few minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water
- Comb through your hair to remove dead bed bugs and their eggs
- Repeat the process few times for a couple of weeks until all the bugs and their eggs are removed from your hair.
As discussed in the post, the process of removing bed bug in your hair is not easy as you may think. To get effective results, follow the procedures and steps indicated in the post. But you also need to be patient.
Obviously, whenever there are bed bugs in your hair it means that there are bed bugs in your home. While your focus is to get rid of bed bugs in your hair, you should also attempt to get rid of bed bugs from your entire home. The process requires time but it is necessary.
From the post, it is clear that there are no products specifically designed for removing bed bugs from your hair. All the products we have mentioned in this article are known to help in the process of killing the bed bugs. For effective results, each treatment needs to be repeated a number of times for several days.